Picayune Mississippi History
Mr Moseley said this morning that a fixed schedule had been agreed for the new station and that the Mississippi State-Ole Miss Game would be broadcast from 1: 45am. The keynote address of the afternoon was given by Dr. John E. Ellis, president of Picayune High School, and on Saturday, when the radio station WRJW - Picaysune, Mississippi, went on air at sunrise.
When Mississippi was incorporated into the Union in 1817, the area around Cook's post was incorporated into the newly formed Hancock County. The additional land gave the county a total area of 828 square kilometers, making it one of the largest counties in Mississippi at the time, but the new county was short-lived. In 1818, Pearl River County was organized as Pearl County, using land from Hancock and Marion counties.
On January 8, 1924, Mr. J.A. Huff was ordered to buy the first set of its kind owned by the Pearl River County Board of Education, a branch of the Mississippi State University system. Today known as Pearl River Community College, the college continued to serve the educational needs of Mississippi residents until its closure in 1975. In May of the same year the school was opened, in its first year of existence a total of 1000 students were enrolled.
This led many to relocate to the Mississippi Gulf Coast, seeking safe places to live and easy commuting. In 1969, the MMI acquired the Pearl River County Board of Education property at the corner of Canal St. and Main St. In 1973, the name was changed to Mississippi Music. The store was located at 117 West Canal St. This has made it a popular destination for many who have moved and sought a safer home and easier commute. It became one of the most popular destinations for tourists and residents of Mississippi.
TransportAmtrak Crescent trains connect the Picayune to the Gulf Coast via the Mississippi River Bridge at the intersection of Canal St. and Main Street. Amtrak's Crescent train connects the Picayunes with a stop in New Orleans, Mississippi, en route to New York City and New Jersey.
Interstate 59 connects Picayune with New Orleans, LA from the south via Interstate 10 and Interstate 60 to the north via the Mississippi River Bridge. Interstate 59, a two-lane highway in the south of the state that connects the Picayunes with New York City, New Jersey and the Gulf Coast via I-10 and from there to the Louisiana State University campus in Baton Rouge.
Mississippi Highway 43 is the main eastbound route connecting Interstate 10 with Kiln, MS and from there via Interstate 60 to New Orleans, LA.
The signs along the way describe the history of the Mississippi River Valley and its connection to the Gulf Coast. View a rotating map of the Mississippi County and Mississippi Highway 43 boundaries, with an animated map illustrating the Mississippi County boundary changes.
In 1867 he wrote exclusively for the Daily Picayune and in 1868, with the help of his brother-in-law William H. "Buck" Smith Jr., he began writing the New Orleans Times.
In September 1975, the Mississippi Music Acceptance Corp. was founded to grant MMI exclusive rights to the Picayune and other local music publications in the state. When it was founded, it was the largest newspaper in Mississippi and the second largest in the United States after the New Orleans Times.
Gen. Andrew Jackson had died, and a young man named Moses Cook, a Pennsylvania native who had enrolled in Tennessee, was generally Jackson's Army and served as deputy quartermaster. Cook came to Jarrell's post to collect supplies, and in March, he and his wife and three children were shipped to Chicago to find shoppers. The fourth was a man named William H. "Bill" Jones, a native of New Orleans, who bought land in Pike County in 1820 and built a house on it, making him one of the earliest settlers in southwest Mississippi.
William entered the Civil War in 1861, was a Confederate soldier and later became a pharmacist and doctor. Bilbo served two terms as governor of Mississippi, and Edward C. Gay of Gulfport, Mississippi, was elected president of the American Tung Oil Association. Mississippi was represented in the U.S. House of Representatives by William H. Jackson Jr., a native of New Orleans. The Arboretum in Picayune Mississippi is managed by the Mississippi State University Extension.
He was born in Picayune, Mississippi, in 1849, but was founded in 1978 as a resident of the Living Museum of Mississippi History at Mississippi State University in Jackson.
Picayune was first founded in 1849 as a township, the name chosen as a result of a contest between the city's residents and the citizens of New Orleans, Louisiana. The county was to be separated from Louisiana by the Pearl River, which formed its western border, but by the decision to separate it from Louisiana by becoming a county, it was stripped of that name for the county.